San Diego CA May 12 2014 + some road tripping

San Diego CA May 12 2014 + some road tripping

Postby bargee » 19 May 2014 00:24

This is more road trip than kayaking but it still counts. :)

I wanted to see if a Mazda MX-5 (I bought it used - nearly 8 years old - having made the mistake of test-driving one... too much fun) had adequate space to pack enough stuff to go somewhere and paddle a bit and where better than San Diego where The World's Most Remarkable Granddaughter currently lives?

The Miata does. Somewhere on Highway 60 in New Mexico.Image

The frame fits with room to spare in the passenger seat although I recently installed a luggage rack which would likely fit two of them (in case someone wants to go along).

Another angle - how can you not love a road like that?

Peek A Boo

It just gets better. Further west and a few miles east of the Very Large Array.

It is indeed a Very Large Array.

And that it exists resonated much more with me now that I recently read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell which I highly recommend.
I also highly recommend the sequel Children Of God which to me kind of took the edge left by The Sparrow, off.

And really, I highly recommend just about anything she writes. :D

Then I found what may be even a Very Much Larger Array in Quemado...

and potentially Even A Larger One Yet. Who knows what one man might be? RIP.

All That may be In That.

And then on to Interstate 8 west of Phoenix Arizona.

While I was taking photos a guy stopped who had come south on 85 from Interstate 10 and asked me if he needed to go left or right to get to Yuma... :!: God bless 'im for actually asking directions! :lol:

Another array.

Next morning further west on Interstate 8; no, I wasn't paddling at the time. Very funny. :twisted:

I stayed two nights at Campland On The Bay in San Diego: it's pricey and caters more to RVs but you can get a tent camping site close enough to carry your boat to the water although while I was there I saw south across the inlet many people camping, presumably for free, on the beach. Maybe next time.

The ducks largely ruled the place.

Getting ready for tomorrow’s paddle while waiting for the family to arrive.

OhBoyDirt!! Could it get better?!
(Have you ever noticed in a child's eyes something like 'Yes, I am comparatively inexperienced relative to you but that fact allows me a fascination and an innocence you would do well to emulate at this point in your life'?)

Well, maybe a fire…

especially if it shoots sparks. The firewood is expensive but what price that?

And then tomorrow was today.
Damn ducks are nearly everywhere.

(Could I sue them for stalking me? Could the Government provide me redress? Do I have a 'right' to live 'duck free'?)

The two bridges you paddle under getting to the big water.

Some sentinels you may pass.

Some paddlers you may see.
A loud guy in a Zodiac was screaming ‘POSTURE’ at them; hopefully they were subjecting themselves to it voluntarily.

Turned around to see the sun rise.

Sentinel update: then there were two.

And one.

Heading west; you can barely see the rock point on the left out where the swells were 10-12’. I paddled out there and tried to shoot some video but it didn’t work out well plus truth be told I'm still a bit unnerved by water like that. Yes, I am a wuss.

I saw more paddlers on this stretch of out and back than I have ever seen in one place before. Cool.

Then I was visited by a couple of non-paddlers.

I like this photo as I happened to catch one surfacing.

I was PLAGUED PLAGUED I tell you by the relentless remorseless Remora Kelp.

Less so by these.

11 seconds and CURSE the clicking.

Is there no place Ship Of Fools folk aren’t?

That ends the paddling – the remainder will be road trip.

-----
Seriousness is not a virtue.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Re: San Diego CA May 12 2014 + some road tripping

Postby bargee » 19 May 2014 09:51

Wrapping up May 12.

A note on all the Roman Catholic references. I was raised as a Lutheran, but it never really took. Over the past few years a process which started when I read Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton has led me to a much greater appreciation of the RCC, warts and all. When I was in Santiago Chile in 2012 while doing the sightseeing thing I happened into the Church of St. Francis during Sunday morning Mass and it was moving to see the comparatively few faithful that were there, present, in a church nearly 500 years old which is very young by Church standards.

While at this writing I think it’s unlikely I’ll convert I’m letting the jury stay out. Coincidentally (if anything is…) and somewhat concurrently I learned my oldest daughter has taken a path similar to mine so we now have a new mutual interest in addition to The World’s Most Remarkable Granddaughter - so we went here to visit.

ANOTHER less than perfectly framed photo… sigh. I appreciate this waterproof camera but I miss a viewfinder and manual focus, among other things. It’s kind of like giving up a manual transmission in a car to allow engineers thousands of miles away from you automatically shift.

Yes, the bells work as it remains a functioning church in addition to being a museum. They rang some inscrutable pattern before we left, and the volume is impressive.

From the other side, inside.

And a palm tree I estimate is pushing 60’ tall – it’s huge.

This bronze is larger than life and conveys realism, somehow. There may be a moral there.

And I like the juxtaposition of old sad life and death (and hopefully resurrection) with young happy life. There may be a moral there.

My camera has a macro feature which is cool. This bud or seed or whatever reminded me of Julian of Norwich’s comment: ‘In this acorn, is everything there is.’

We went to a covered outdoor mall food court nearby for lunch and I for one didn't really appreciate the birds that had the run... erm... fly of the place. They'll get into your food if you walk away for even a moment so I fantasized about the entertainment factor of introducing a few cats or peregrine falcons into the mix. I would pay to see falcons at work.

After naps I ate excellent bierocks prepared by my daughter at her apartment; alas, her husband was called into work so I didn't get to see much of him. Anyway, so ended May 12 and I headed for home the next morning.

Thanks for everything, all of you.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 19 May 2014 12:52

Now I’m driving east on Interstate 8 heading back toward Arizona and stop at a rest area in far eastern California. Earlier I had driven west during the wee hours so had only seen sand drifting near a bridge and didn’t get a bigger picture.

I appreciate the USofA allegedly follows rules of law as opposed to individuals imposing their will (where is Rand Paul when you need him?) but when I see this contraption I can’t help but think we might have it a bit wrong… ANYONE who has trekked across those dunes isn’t likely to be deterred by THAT, having clearly displayed exceptionally impressive determination.

So I humbly suggest that if indeed the Border Patrol types (who seem to relish racing around in their US Government Cheese Big Pickups) actually apprehend some furriner who made it that far we find a way to fast track him or her into citizenship.

Back into New Mexico returning to the Very Large Array
I conclude much beauty is perceived as little more than reflected light.

Things are arrayed differently, this day

here on the plains of St. Augustine.

Then on to Santa Rosa where I am exceedingly glad I stopped to see a hole.

Personally, if I had been trekking across New Mexico before ‘civilization’ struck and found this place you would have to pry my cold dead hands away from their clutches on the surrounding rocks. Why go anywhere else, ever?
He obviously concurs.

A rat with a presentation.

27 seconds.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 20 May 2014 12:49

As this is primarily a road trip I'll end with a couple of road trip notes.

I enjoy maximizing fuel economy and, if I do say so myself, do it very well. The previous photo shows how far you can go on one tank of fuel in an NC (2006 and later) Mazda MX-5. No doubt there are skeptics about the veracity of the claim but such is life. And if I ever get a chance to spend extended time in a higher altitude environment I'll go further than that - you heard it here first.

https://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

The Garmin eTrex 20 documents the trip (except for the brief moments when it inexplicably crashes).

Attentive readers will note the correlation between the comparatively slow moving average with maximized fuel economy.

And that is that.

Go while you can.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby andre » 26 Jun 2014 00:50

Nice one ,Bargee. I enjoyed that virtual tour .Not often one has a post encompassing desert scrub ,sand dunes ,dolphins ,Jellyfish ,old Spanish era churches and paddling :D .
andre

Return to North America