Missouri River September 23-28 2013

Missouri River September 23-28 2013

Postby bargee » 22 Jun 2014 01:39

(I originally dated this 2014... sometimes it's exceedingly embarrassing to be me. :oops: )

I'll start this one out backward: here are the stats at Cooper's Landing near Columbia Missouri accumulated from the put in at Kaw Point on the Kansas River in KC KS (Lewis and Clark and company stopped there) just west of the confluence with the Missouri.

I like to think 'not bad, for an old bald largely sedentary guy', but I would. :oops:

And who knew a Folbot Yukon could go that fast.
Seriousness is not a virtue.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Re: Missouri River September 23-28 2013

Postby bargee » 22 Jun 2014 22:23

Last September 23 I rode the Jefferson Lines bus from Bentonville to the Greyhound terminal in KC MO and then took a taxi the remaining 4 miles to Kaw Point on the Kansas river in KC KS: total outbound (excepting the minor personal car cost) transportation expense for the 200+ mile trip was $58 for the bus ticket, $15 for one extra checked bag and $11 (+ tip) for the taxi. Total trip time from bus departure to putting in the Kansas: 0830ish to 1337 – gotta love travel with a folding kayak. My wife picked me up Saturday at Cooper’s Landing and we visited her parents who live nearby and headed back to Bentonville Sunday.

View from Kaw Point: looking SE towards KC metro
the Kansas is in the right foreground and the Missouri in the background.

Zoomed in.
You can see the roiled water where the Kansas conflues with the Missouri.

My guess is Lewis and Clark and company saw things differently. :oops:

The Goal: the crow flies a shorter distance and presumably has his/her reward.

My enthusiasm was a bit dampened by the 15-20 mph SE winds.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 22 Jun 2014 23:01

But in true Go While You Can mode I paddled away, anyway.
I think this is the Highway 71 (not to be confused with 61) bridge. Revisited.

The first of many trains you might hear.
Only later did it occur to me trains MIGHT be more likely to follow a comparatively flat path. Duh.

Oopsie - another one bites the dust.

Moving sand and rocks around is the most common human activity I saw.

One of the things I learned doing this is how much the river has been changed by humans over the years.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 22 Jun 2014 23:09

A bit west of Missouri City - approximately mile marker 348 and allegedly near another of the Lewis and Clark campsites; there are many decent campsites along the route and no one gave me any problems about 'commando camping'.

I took my Hennessy Hammock which I dearly love as it's very comfortable and convenient but the undergrowth was still thick so I avoided getting near trees: too chicken to mess with potentially poisonous plants.

Home for tonight.

I slept very well each night... I guess I was working enough during the day to get adequately tuckered.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 22 Jun 2014 23:54

September 24 2013

Pretty much the next thing I saw the next morning was
ImageIT.

I once saw and heard a wolf spider big enough to make a click sound when it landed after jumping.

Heebie Jeebie overload.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 25 Jun 2014 21:05

This is the Missouri City power plant: yes, I know it's blurred but I still like it. :D
This is the only place I saw a wing dike in the middle of the river creating channels on both sides. More about wing dikes later.

Someone is allowed to pour nasty looking stuff into the river. Yuck.

The Folbot Yukon is so stable you can drag a foot across the top to wash your feetsies off.
(note to self: trim toenails before next departure)

A very good 'all arounder' boat which I like a lot, although a faster boat would be nice for a trip like this.

This video shows Asian carpers doing whatever it is Asian carpers do... I presume it involves electricity and beer.
95 seconds.
You can hear a guy yell 'Field Goal!' and 'Score!' They brightened up my day. :lol:

No, Timmie, I DON'T want to hear why you're late getting home from school again!

The channel markers are your friends; the short version is keep to the outside of the bends to stay in the fastest current. On this river the shortest route is not the fastest route.
Hopefully someone who knows something about this will explain why the folks who devised the wing dike concept didn't choose to divert the water to the inside of the bends, rather than the outside. <scratches head>

Another one bites the dust.
The moral is stay away from man-made structures on this river. Have I mentioned the Heebie Jeebies?

Barges moving upstream make much larger wakes than those moving downstream. Who knew?
101 seconds and curse the clicking.
What the video doesn't show is me QUICKLY stowing the camera after I finished shooting to grab the paddle and deal with the not insignificant wake the barge created. :shock: Pucker.

It was late enough in the year to see dozens of bald eagles but they were typically camera shy and this is the best I could do.

Home for tonight - the photo is taken while beached on the sand, pretty much in the middle of the river. :o I didn't have any idea how shallow much of this river is; the first few times I bumped a paddle on the bottom I thought I might be hitting a huge catfish! :?
It would be interesting to see how much of this river you could walk.

Just past Waverly near the 293 mile marker. Notice the negative rocker of the Yukon.
You quickly learn to watch for camping sites immediately downstream of the wing dikes.

Here there's a second dike roughly 200 yards from the first, both on the inside of the bend diverting water to the outside of the bend.

Approximately 54 miles in 11 hours - trying to build a buffer to make sure I could reach Cooper's Landing by the weekend.

I tried to post a link but they're all commercial: search Van Morrison when will I ever learn.

And the maximum speed was obtained yesterday when I put the coals to it once going past a wing dike. My best guess is the average speed of the current is roughly 2.5 mph but it varies significantly depending on where you are relative to the main channel which has been created by humans.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 27 Jun 2014 11:23

September 25 2013

A bit of fog this morning.
I started out twice earlier when the fog was thicker and thought better both times and soon devised a rule for myself which prohibits me from being on the water unless I can (soon) see both banks. Yes, I am a wuss.

See the boil... more later.

There are many crosses along this river. ISTM the moral is you never ever want to get between an immovable object and the immense power of all that moving water. <shudder>
It's hardly a technically difficult river to paddle but stay away from things that don't move.

You quickly learn when you hear a 'hissing' it's time to perk up. <double shudder>

The channel was narrow on the other side of the sandbar so I backpaddled waiting for this guy to go by only to finally see he had stopped and was reversing so he could anchor the barge on the far bank.
I passed him while he was anchored and later he came back by me deadheading; he was very considerate kindly 'tootling' his horn when he was about 1/3 mile away. I raced him as he was passing by but he had more horsepower for the task and I lost.

Actually, it wasn't even close. ;)

These guys were rebuilding a wing dike.

rojo barcaza / you can see one of the mile markers on the tree.
Hopefully someone can tell us how they measure the distance... presumably the middle of the channel?

Teensy turtle tracks?

I named this Bargeville although it's actually near Dewitt.
This was very close to the halfway point and it was nice knowing I had less miles to go than I had gone as paddling that boat at that pace was beginning to resemble work. :)

I was also experiencing significant pain in my lower right back. Around then I made a small adjustment to the seat by moving it forward about an inch and gained much relief - who knew?

Turning the corner.

Home again, near mile marker 239.

Sneaking the boat into this opening required dragging over some rocks... the Elvaloy (for some reason I can't help thinking whoever came up with that name is a Tolkien fan :) ) hull is remarkably durable - more later.
You'll note my less than professional packing technique. :oops:

Another 50ish mile day leaving 70ish miles to go. I had gained .10 mph in my average speed even though I was tiring as I had figured out how to find the faster lines in the current.
It has been an exceptionally good time - wish you were there. :mrgreen:

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 27 Jun 2014 12:03

September 26 2013

Good Day, Sunshine! (a nod to the Beatles)

Glasgow is just around the bend to the right.

Drifting watching some boils. I read up on the Missouri River 340 Race from a previous year prior to starting the trip and one guy talked about seeing a whirlpool a few feet across and a couple of feet deep... he mentioned he didn't want to know what might be below it and I couldn't agree more. <triple shudder>
28 seconds
The race is from Kaw Point to St. Louis and must be done in under 88 hours to finish.

My average speed was *koff* a bit less than theirs. :shock:

Glasgow. The structure on the right is a mill of some sort - you can hear them from far away; it was nice to hear the church bells ringing in counterpoint to the racket.
I just figured out why my photos were being cropped; as time allows I'll go through the other threads and make the adjustment. Please resume your normal programming.

Another barge video.
88 seconds

One of the few places which has more rocks than sand.

I mentioned how shallow much of this river is. :o

This is why you want to avoid immovable objects.
19 seconds
Can you imagine getting snagged on that? <quadruple shudder!!!!>

Tried to use the bank in the foreground contrasted against the trees in the background to demonstrate the speed of the current.
14 seconds

You can get a feel for the dynamic nature of the water.
56 seconds
No matter your speed entering those roiled areas the water will almost certainly immediately turn your boat into a kayak pinball.

Took me a while to realize that is two bridges.

Wanted to show and tell the sound of the water rushing through this, The Mother Of All Log Jams; behind is a tributary. Keep your ears peeled for that hissing sound as it not so subtly indicates Potentially Really Bad Things Happening.
56 seconds

Just east of Boonville across from Franklin's Point boat ramp and Mile Marker 195 / by far the skankiest smelliest trashiest site I was on - no sand to speak of, mainly dried crusty mud which made for difficult walking... still, could be worse.
I could be in a regular bed somewhere. :D

25 miles to go!

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 27 Jun 2014 13:25

September 27 2013

I thought then it was fitting the morning of the last day paddling should be the prettiest. Not always the most scenic river but it has its moments.

For some reason increasingly I see faces in rocks... go figure. I'll go with 'hermit crab', here.
:)

I admit it took me a while to figure out the feet markers. In my defense it was difficult to conceive of THAT MUCH WATER. Dayum.

The light wasn't good for photographing bluffs on the east side; the platform on top of this one overhangs the edge by a few feet so perhaps it's noteworthy a vulture is sitting on the railing. Near the Eagle Bluff area, if it isn't actually part of it.

Since 1979ish I've been crossing the I-70 bridge west of Columbia (lived there from 1981 to 1985, more or less and then some) always wondering in the back of my mind what it would be like to paddle under it, and now I know.
118 seconds

The end, in sight.
And I was knackered enough to ask a lithe young woman to help me carry my boat up the steps. I guess I'm not young anymore...

Home for tonight, again.

The Joseph M. LaBarge, paddleboat originally from Ohio, captained by a guy who rescued a bald eagle recently and made national news. He seems wound pretty tight to me but I guess that's not a bad thing; takes all kinds.

This gal is making an epic trip. She had just left Coopers Landing Wednesday - she's a local.
http://www.loveyourbigmuddy.com
Sorry I missed her.

The rustic eclectic charm of Coopers Landing. The food was excellent and reasonably priced and some of the local company was experienced and interesting to visit with.
The beer was pricey, though. :mrgreen:

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Postby bargee » 28 Jun 2014 06:27

Picture the water being high enough to be over your head on this porch.
Cringe.

Back when I jogged a lot I considered it a good Autumn when I could catch a falling leaf so imagine my pleased surprise when while sitting there minding my own business one landed on my arm.

I cleverly managed to hit a submerged wing dike rock at speed - when it happened I thought it might have been enough to bend a frame piece :shock:
so I was thankful to learn that the worst damage I could find on the hull was minimal. That skin is tough stuff.

The River Ghost Revue.
193 seconds
These guys play free shows at Cooper's Landing regularly; good music and good vibes: be there or be square. ;)

I did what I did just to be free.

The bass player was really into things.

(If you want to read it there's a bit more on page two.)

Gilbert Keith Chesterton
bargee
Site Admin

Next

Return to North America